If you are using a Ubuntu Linux operating system and your computer is frequently used to connect to internet, you might want to block some sites from being visited using your computer. So here is a simple method for it.
How to Block Unwanted Website in Ubuntu Linux?
The process to block websites in Ubuntu Linux is very simple and doesn’t require any third party application. You just need to make a simple entry in the /etc/hosts file. /etc/hosts is a very important file which handles DNS and internet handling on Linux based systems. In order to block some site from opening, open the /etc/hosts file by typing the following command on the terminal:
and add the following line:
Example 127.0.0.1 yahoo.com
Here replace domain.com with the name of the domain that you wish to block. Once the above exercise is done, who ever tries to access the site will get a message “Failed to Connect”.
Done! Do let us know if you have any alternative method for the above task. We will really like to add it to the post.
- 40 Hotkeys in Ubuntu Linux
- Android Theme for Ubuntu Linux
- YouTube Client without Flash for MAC, LINUX and Ubuntu
- Dell Latitude 2100N – Ubuntu Linux Netbook Review & Specs
- Ubuntu Themes: 61 Awesome Themes for Linux
- mod_pagespeed – Google Tool to Make websites load faster