After going through the process, it seems all very easy. This method shared below will allow you to give root access to root-only applications like SetCPU, CacheMate, or Root Explorer onto your Samsung Galaxy S variant. If you’re looking for any custom ROMs then hold on, they are not available yet and you would have to wait a bit until custom ROMs are out developed. But this root-access will add somewhat more functionalities.
WARNING: This may likely void your warranty, and you should do this at your own risk. We take no responsibility whatsoever if you risk your Vibrant into a paperweight.
How to root Samsung Captivate / Galaxy S:
Before we move on to steps, you need to have these files with you; so download ‘em first up!
Now move onto following steps:
- Install the correct drivers that you downloaded earlier for the Captivate onto your computer.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB, and mount as a mass storage device (internal storage) by pulling down the notification bar at the top of the screen. Since we’re going to install it on internal storage, you may fetch out the microSD to ensure you only have internal memory as mass storage.
- Copy (drag and drop) the Captivate Root file (rename it as update.zip) to the Internal Storage.
- Boot your phone into to Recovery Mode
- Turn off the phone.
- Hold down the volume up and down buttons while turning the Captivate on, which will bring you to the recovery mode.
- To navigate in Recovery, use volume up and down to move, and Power button to select.
- Select Reinstall Packages, and hit the power button. This will install the file, wait unless your device reboots.
- After Captivate is rebooted, observe the SuperUser application in the app drawer. You’ve got root!
- Root Samsung Galaxy Tab with Z4Root [How to Guide]
- Download Z4Root to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Root Samsung Vibrant
- Speed Comparison: iPhone 4 vs BlackBerry Torch 9800 vs Samsung Captivate [Video]
- Samsung’s Remarkable Android Phones: Galaxy 3 & Galaxy 5
- Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab II: Spec and Pics